Thursday, September 11, 2008

Re-Entry - 4363 Main


An unfortunate name, subtle space-travel theme and the phrase, "an act of reentering," define Re-Entry.

Space is less of a theme at Re-Entry than one might expect from the name. Stars are painted on the bathroom walls and there's a satellite painted on their sidewalk sign, but these things seem more like isolated oddities than parts of a theme. Still, I applaud the attempt to model the place after something other than a Wallpaper magazine from 2004.

Coffee is fine. I've had only espresso, which tends to have a lot of (rather foamy) crema, and is perfectly enjoyable. If I recall correctly, R. employs naked portafilters, although to little effect, owing, I presume, to the inexperience of baristas.

There is very little food available. Cookies and other standard baked goods comprise the majority of it.

I don't particularly like to spend much time in Re-Entry. I have often been the only customer there and the indoor seating consists of a row of booths, all less than 3 metres from the counter, which can inspire a feeling of conspicuousness in an idler.

In summation, sure, go there, if you want.

No comments: